19 July 2010

Augustus Pablo Mixtape

Well, it's summer; and summer means lying out in the sun; and lying out in the sun means listening to some chill dub; and listening to some chill dub means listening to Augustus Pablo. (Wow, what an opening sentence.) I've been thinking about this playlist for a while, and I briefly thought I was going to do a less specific, anything-goes dub mix with numerous artists on it, but then I thought, how can I deny Augustus Pablo the attention? After all, to me, he *is* dub. Maybe later on, I'll do further dub mixes which incorporate more than one producer.

This mix borrows a lot from King Tubbys Meets Rockers Uptown, one of my absolute favourite records, although I've tried to spread the load over a lot of his selections. As with dub in general, there are some prominently recurring musical motifs, in this case the killer 'King Tubby Meets Rockers Uptown' / 'Baby I Love You So' / 'Black Gunn' and 'Silent Satta' / 'Satta Dub' melodies. So all that's left is the listing. I hope you enjoy this one:

  1. Satta Dub (King Tubbys Meets Rockers Uptown)
  2. El Rockers (El Rocker's)
  3. 555 Dub Street (King Tubbys Meets Rockers Uptown)
  4. East Of The River Nile (East Of The River Nile)
  5. Up Warika Hill (Original Rockers)
  6. King Tubby Meets Rockers Uptown (King Tubbys Meets Rockers Uptown)
  7. Silent Satta (El Rocker's)
  8. Hot & Cold (The Great Pablo)
  9. Memories Of The Ghetto (East Of The River Nile)
  10. Sahara Rock (The Essential Augustus Pablo)
  11. Skanking Dub (King Tubbys Meets Rockers Uptown)
  12. Far East (The Essential Augustus Pablo)
  13. Unfinished Melody (East Of The River Nile)
  14. Stop There Jah (King Tubbys Meets Rockers Uptown)
  15. Black Gunn (El Rocker's)

No comments:

Post a Comment