10 February 2010

It's Winter In My Mind (Winter Playlist)

Just to clarify, it's summer for me right now, and although I'm aware of the particularly harsh winter being encountered by friends and family back in Europe and the States, I made this mix one sunny day when I was feeling a little homesick and remembering winters in Canterbury and Amsterdam.

As a result of that, some of these songs might not actually have anything to do with winter - lyrically speaking - to a third party. But perhaps because of associations or memories they conjure in my mind, they all make me think of the colder months, and so listening to them in sequence is a treat for when I want to feel cosy, until I eventually see another winter.

  1. Anna Ternheim - 'I'll Follow You Tonight' (Somebody Outside)
  2. Duke Special - 'Ballad of a Broken Man' (Songs From the Deep Forest)
  3. Basia Bulat - 'In the Night' (In the Night EP)
  4. Sigur Rós - 'Untitled #1 (Vaka) ' (( ))
  5. Neko Case - 'Christmas Card From a Hooker in Minneapolis' (New Coat of Paint: Songs of Tom Waits)
  6. The Reindeer Section - 'The Opening Taste' (Y'all Get Scared Now, Ya Hear!)
  7. Madeleine Peyroux - 'Between the Bars' (Careless Love)
  8. Bright Eyes - 'Lua' (I'm Wide Awake, It's Morning)
  9. The Decemberists - 'Shankhill Butchers' (The Crane Wife)
  10. Guggenheim Grotto - 'A Lifetime in Heat' (...Waltzing Alone)
  11. Elliott Smith - 'I Didn't Understand' (XO)
  12. Death Cab For Cutie - 'I Will Follow You Into the Dark' (Plans)
  13. Rilo Kiley - 'Paint's Peeling' (The Execution of All Things)
  14. The Pipettes - 'A Winter's Sky' (We Are The Pipettes)
  15. Bloc Party - 'So Here We Are' (Silent Alarm)
  16. Explosions in the Sky - 'With Tired Eyes, Tired Minds, Tired Souls, We Slept' (Those Who Tell the Truth Shall Die, Those Who Tell the Truth Shall Live Forever)

No comments:

Post a Comment